The Latvia SIG is a group that focuses on Jewish genealogical
research in Latvia. Our goals include
- Distributing a quarterly newsletter devoted to Latvian genealogical issues
and information that will assist members in researching their family histories.
The newsletter may in the future be online for those members that have Internet
access and will still be mailed to all other members. The whole subject is
under review at present.
- Setting up a bibliography on Latvia to assist genealogical
researchers in their efforts.
- Documenting Latvian towns where Jews lived, including their history and
current status, with details of contacts, addresses, cemeteries and mass graves,
- Making contacts with communities in Latvia and maintaining the excellent
relationship we have cemented with the Archivists in the Latvian state Historical
- Collecting materials and data on Latvian Jewry, including books, archival
materials, property records, maps, articles, family histories, documents and
lists of various types, and making such materials available to members, both
through our newsletter ,web site and the All Latvia Database.
- Recording members' narratives of trips to ancestral towns and individual
- Recording known details of Holocaust events in Latvia.
- Keeping current on new resources as they come available, and publicizing
them to our members.
- Creating a Latvia Family Finder of towns and surnames being researched by
members. We also encourage our members to contribute to the JewishGen Family Finder
- Cooperating with other Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and Research Groups
such as The Courland Research
Group on projects of mutual interest.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is our intent to provide research
tools to assist members with their own research, but we do not have the resources
to do research on individual families for our members.
Latvia SIG Home Page
JewishGen Home Page
Marion Werle, Webmaster: