“Bönstadt”
Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities:
Germany volume 3
(Germany)

50°17' / 08°51'

Translation from Pinkas ha-kehilot Germanyah

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1992


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities, Germany
Volume 3, page 113, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, 1992


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


[Page 113]

Bönstadt, Germany

A town in the Wetterau region, today a part of the city of Niddatal.

Donated by Edna Berkovits
Translated by Jerrold Landau

 

Population

YearPopulationJews%
1828 37 
1861670517.6
1880721486.6
1900577305.2
1910670213.1
1925687162.3
193373691.2
193974670.9

Religious affiliation by percentage in 1933

JewsCatholicsProtestantsOthers
1.21.797.1-

The time of the settlement of the first Jews in Bönstadt is unknown. It is estimated that at the latest, they settled there in the 18th century, for in approximately 1800, a Jewish cemetery was opened there, and during the years 1823-1850, Jews owned 18 houses in Bönstadt. During the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, there was a small community there, the population of which rose to 51 in 1861. From then until 1880, it declined continuously. There was a synagogue there, and kosher slaughter took place. The community belonged to the Liberal rabbinate of Upper Hessen in Giessen (see entry). After the First World War, the synagogue was closed, and the Jews of Bönstadt joined the community of Assenheim (see entry), and joined the communal worship there. (According to one source, the community still existed there until 1933, and was headed by Adolf Muller).

The Jews of Bönstadt were for the most part cattle merchants, butchers, and storeowners. Only two families remained there in 1933. They earned their livelihoods from the horse trade.

During the Nazi rule monuments from the Jewish cemetery were uprooted. The Jews of Bönstadt suffered greatly from the boycott. They sold their houses and moved to Frankfurt. Two Jews succeeded in emigrating from Frankfurt (to the United States and South Africa), and the rest were sent to the camps in the east where they perished.

Today the synagogue is used as apartments. The cemetery is cared for by the local authorities.

Bibliography

Hartherz, W.: Die Geschichte der Juden in Bönstadt, Heimatbuch der Gemeinde Bönstadt, n.p., 1973


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 30 Jan 2007 by MGH