“Pakuonis” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Lithuania
(Lithuania)

54° 43' / 24° 03'

Translation of the “Pakuonis” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Lita

Written by Josef Rosin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem, 1996


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Barry Mann

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot Lita: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Lithuania,
Editor: Prof. Dov Levin, Assistant Editor: Josef Rosin, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


(Pages 500-501)

Pakuonis

Written by Dov Levin

Translated by Shaul Yannai

In Yiddish, Pakon or Pakun

A village and the center of a county in the district of Kaunas, 12 km northeast of Prienai. 8-10 Jewish families live in Pakuonis in the 19th century. They made their living by trading with the villages in the surrounding areas. In 1923, the village had 409 residents and among them were 51 Jews, who made their living from storekeeping and by trading with the villages in the surrounding areas.

Among the natives of the town were Mordekhai Katz (born in 1907), one of the leaders of the Revisionists in Lithuania and the editor of the daily “Moment” (1935-1936). He emigrated to Eretz-Yisrael in 1936; Yakov Kozlovski, who subsequently became a famous artist in Paris.

Not more than 10 Jewish families remained in Pakuonis on June 22, 1941, the day of the outbreak of the war between Germany and the Soviet Union. The local doctor was also Jewish. At the end of August or at the beginning of September, 1941, the Jews, accompanied by armed Lithuanians, were transferred to Garliava, where they were murdered and buried together with the local Jews. The murder site and the mass grave are located in the Rinkunai valley, on the beach of the Jiesia River, 1 km south of Garliava.

A different source states that the Jews of Pakuonis were transferred to Darsuniskis and were murdered there together with the local Jews. Only a very few survived.

Bibliography:

Yad Vashem Archives, Jerusalem, Koniukhovsky Collection 0-71, file 147.
Gar, Viderklangen (Yiddish), Vol. 1, pages 274, 346.
Masines Zudynes Lietuvoje (Mass Murders in Lithuania), Vol. 2, p. 391.

 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 2 Sep 2011 by MGH