“Yakovlevo” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume V
(Yakovleva, Belarus)

5211' / 2520'

Translation of “Yakovlevo” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem Published in Jerusalem


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

 

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Debbie Kroopkin

 

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem
for permission to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot:
Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume V, page 260, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


Yakovlevo

Jewish agricultural moshav in the district and commonwealth of Drochiczyn

Population

Year General
Population
Jewish
Population
1849 (?) 14
families
1898 (?) 354
1921 177 155
1931 31,912 20,220

The moshav of Yakovlevo was founded in 1849, in the days of the rule of Czar Nicoli the First, on the lands of the state. Most of the settlers in the place came from Slonim. Every family received 270 dunam. In the first years the settlers suffered from a lack of agricultural knowledge and an absence of funding to build farms.

In the end of the nineteenth century there was a strong agricultural situation. Every farm had a residence. The structure of the farm was 10 milk cows, work horses and more. The authority of the settlers was 3,620 dunam.

On the agricultural [moshav] lived 202 people, and in the dead season in the winter months they earned wages from different jobs.  The rest of the settlers worked in labor throughout the year. The community buildings that were in this place were the Synagogue, the wash house, and the shared granary to shelter the grains after thrashing. The settlers serviced a butcher and a community prayer leader. The children learned with teachers whose levels were inferior. Attempts to open a school with the assistance of the “Group to Distribute Hascala” [the Enlightenment Movement] did not go well In the era of World War I the number of Jews in Yakovlevo decreased.

After the war 20 Christians were added.

In the era of the conquer, the Nazis brought the Jews of Yakovlevo to the Drochiczyn Ghetto and there they were killed together with the Jews of that place in two Aktions [round-ups]: 12 Av, 5702 (July 26, 1942) and 4 Cheshvan, 5703 (October 15, 1942).

Source: HaMelitz, March 5, 1883


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page     Yakovlevo, at KehilaLinks


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 20 Nov 2011 MGH