“Jarczow” - Encyclopedia of Jewish
Communities in Poland, Volume VII
(Poland)

50°25' / 23°36'

Translation of “Jarczow” chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin

Published by Yad Vashem

Published in Jerusalem
 


Click here to see how to add a Memorial Plaque to this Yizkor Book
GoldPlaque SilverPlaque BronzePlaque

Acknowledgments

Project Coordinator

Morris Gradel z"l

Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.

This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume VII, page 267, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem


This material is made available by JewishGen, Inc. and the Yizkor Book Project for the purpose of
fulfilling our mission of disseminating information about the Holocaust and destroyed Jewish communities.
This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without JewishGen, Inc.'s permission. Rights may be reserved by the copyright holder.


JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.


Jarczow
(District - Tomaszow Lubelski; Province - Lublin)

Translated by Morris Gradel z"l

Jarczow (J) is first mentioned in the second half of the 18th century as a townlet owned by Polish noblemen. In 1841 a fire broke out there and many of the inhabitants were rendered homeless.

There is no information available on the origins of Jewish settlement in J. In 1863 the town had a population of 231, of whom 203 were Jews. It possessed at the time a synagogue built of wood. A native of J was R. Josele, mentioned in the chapter “The Wedding in Ostila”, from a story by Y.L. Peretz.

Most of the Jews earned a living from petty trading or crafts. In the inter-war years they numbered 250 souls.

At the end of September 1939 (on the eve of the Day of Atonement) J was occupied by the Germans, who at once attacked the Jews and rounded them up for slave labour. On May 22nd, 1942, the Jews of J were deported to the extermination camp at Belzec.


 Yizkor Book Project    JewishGen Home Page  


Yizkor Book Project Manager, Lance Ackerfeld
Emerita Yizkor Book Project Manager, Joyce Field
This web page created by Max Heffler

Copyright ©1999-2014 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 12 Aug 2003 by MGH